The Classic version of the most loved expansion in all of WoW’s history has been out for about two months now, and it has already spawned a lot of memorable moments. The lines of those waiting to get into their server at launch. From about one thousand players waiting in the first two-three days to about eight thousand a week from launch. Naxxramas has been completed within the first hour, and the max lvl has been achieved in only nine hours thanks to the exploit that hasn’t been fixed in 14 years.
Still, two months later, everyone is pretty much doing the same thing as on day one – farm gold. Yes, just like in retail, gold is the main currency and is needed practically for everything! That’s why today I would like to share with you a few useful tricks on how to best approach gold farming. Guides like this will always stay relevant no matter how long ago the patch came out.
TABLE OF CONTESTS
The Most Important Things You’ll Spend Your Gold On
WoTLK Classic has added lots of items to the game. Thematic ridable creatures, companion pets, and trinkets – are the things most players are after. Here are a few items that you ought to want to get your hands on:
- Ring of the Kirin Tor – a most useful and unique ring sold for about 8000 gold by Dalaran’s jewel crafters.
- Reins of the Traveler’s Tundra Mammoth – an epic mount that will let you transport up to two more passengers, has an in-built vendor and the item-repair function. All of this beauty and utility will cost you a measly 20k gold coins!
- Epic Flying and (then) Cold Weather Flying – your ability to fly in the expansion’s zones (Northrend, to be more specific) will cost you somewhere around 5,200 gold depending on your reputation LVL.
- Toys and pets – there’s a new NPC trader that sells various toy items which you’re most likely going to want to buy. That’ll be 2,000 more gold.
- Profession leveling – you’ll want to invest in professions since they can now be used to craft BoE (pre-BiS) gear if you intend to clear raids. The price – is unlimited.
- Raid preparations – consumables such as food, flasks filled with elixirs, and other useful miscellaneous stuff that you’ll need to bring with you on a raid. The price – is unlimited.
All of this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to things you’ll want to get and why you want to farm as much gold as you can. Some entries on that list are only good for achievements, but those of them that were added in the WoTLK are also the ones everyone’s trying to get.
These things and ways to spend your gold must seem overwhelming to you. But don’t worry; It’s time to learn how to make the bank. So, let’s get to it!
Your Go-To Places for Farming Gold in WOTLK Classic
You might have already been to a particular location in the game that has way too many players. Usually, that happens because everyone is leveling, and they need to kill certain mobs or activate a certain quest item in a specified location. But, little do you know, there’s another explanation for a place to have lots of players at once. That reason is – gold farming. Some particular places in various zones have the best conditions for farming gold. Let’s name a few of them:
- Wintergrasp – this is where you get the Eternals from ( Eternal Air, Eternal Earth, Eternal Fire, Eternal Life, and Eternal Shadow). These are reagents used in most end-game recipes.
- Icecrown – the mobs located in the Fleshwerks drop lots of silver
- Grizzly Hills – Thor Modan should be your place to go if you’re LVL 15-30.
- The Storm Peaks – there’s a little spot just under the Terrace of the Makers that’s where you get the Chilled Meat.
- The Storm Peaks – a spot in the so-called K3 cave where players go to attain Iceweb Spider Silk that you get from devouring corpses of Crystalweb Weavers.
The spots in the list mostly contain trash mobs that will be easy to farm if you have a sufficient LVL. Just sell all the common and uncommon rarity items or shard enchanted wearable gear to obtain gold quickly.
Making the Big Bucks with Professions in WOTLK Classic
An alternative way to get wealthy in the game is to focus on professions. If you’re the type of player who likes to take a pause from adventures and kill monsters, you can devote yourself to this activity and earn some good money. So let’s name the most commercially-beneficial ones in the current meta.
Compared to TBC Classic, where Skinning was only making you money up until the Outland, at which point it becomes vastly useless, the WOTLK Classic has been made relevant at all stages of content by the developers.
You only need the knife for skinning and a corpse of a beastly creature you slew. That and also the dream. Anyway, just loot it as usual, and then use the knife to skin it for materials such as the Arctic Fur. It is needed in a lot of high-end Leatherworking recipes and many components. This particular material is a very lucrative item.
This profession is another top-tier source of steady profit. With the addition of Inscription, players who use it will have to gather many different herbs to make inks for future glyphs. Besides, herbs are essential for every elixir and flask made by Alchemists.
That’s why Herbalism is a very profitable business that will remain so throughout the entire lifespan of WoTLK Classic.
This one’s a no-brainer. Raw ores are used in the majority of crafting schematics for high ilvl gear, as well as in Jewelcrafting items, Engineering trinkets, Blacksmithing, and sometimes even in Leatherworking. The ores that you will acquire on your journey will always stay in demand which makes Mining the “Eldorado” of professions.
So far, we’ve talked about gathering stuff, but what about crafting ones? Surprisingly, making something is not as profitable. If you can spare an alt who can focus on gathering so you can have a supply of materials, you’ll be able to make a solid amount of dough by selling the stuff you make. For instance, you can earn up to 5k gold coins for a good piece of top-tier gear. But you’ll be required to know what kind of stuff is relevant and how much it can be bargained for, which is why I included the production professions as a whole at the end of this list.
There’s actually a good amount of ways you can make yourself rich. It all depends on your preference, game knowledge, and the amount of time you’re willing to spend farming the coins. Check out LFCarry.com if you need help acquiring gold or for easier ways of leveling your professions! Thank you for reading, and I’ll see you in the next one.